Monday, July 9, 2007

Things get tighter at the Top!

Highlights

Well it was a long trip back (we got back at 4 am), but it was a pleasant trip as we came home with a 3-2 win. Every game is important with the table so tight, but we battled back from an early deficit to claim 3 points and keep us in the thick of things for promotion. Some other results went our way as KuPS were held by GBK and TP-47 lost to Klubi04- who claimed their first victory of the season. I started the game on the bench, which I wasn't very pleased about. I thought I had a good week of practice, but I'm not the coach and I'll just keep working hard in training and hopefully, I'll get the starting nod soon. Jippo began the game just as we expected with 11 men behind the ball. It made it very tough going for us as there was little space to play in their half of the field. We didn't really create any clear cut chances and then gave up a goal from a cross and a nice header. We responded well though, continuing to possess the ball nicely and wait for our opportunity which came at the death of the half. A ball squeaked its way to the far post to Zeddy Saileti who then cooly placed it in the bottom far post corner. It really was a class finish from a class player. Just a nicely placed ball into the side netting. And boy was it an important goal. Going into the half down 1-0 could have spelled a world of problems. Jippo would have continued playing defensively and countering, but that injury time goal really opened up the game for us. With the score 1-1 starting the second half, Jippo took a more offensive posture leaving plenty of holes for us to exploit. I was inserted for Jusso Majava just after the half at right wing. Let me tell you that wing mid is a bit different then wing back. After 3 or 4 long runs I was definitely breathing a bit heavy, but was able to pace myself nicely to finish the match. I was very happy with my contribution. As soon as I came on I had the opportunity to take on their wing back 1 on 1, and after 2 stepovers I cut inside to shoot where it was blocked by a sliding defender. Then after a throw in, I peeled inside where after a good cross was played into our striker 'Drogba', he then dropped the ball down to me. I took a settling touch with my right thigh and then got a shot off with my left. It deflected off a defender and luckily right to Chileshi Chibwe who easily finished into the back of the net. The third goal came after a sublime touch from Zeddy. A bouncing ball came into him and with one touch played it into the path of an onrushing 'Droba' who held off his man to slot into the back of the net. I had another shot blocked inside the box, and nearly came off with another assist when I cut back for 'Drogba.' It was a bit behind him though and a defender managed to get himself in front of the shot. The last 15 minutes were a bit nervy for us though. We lost a bit of composure and let them score a rather week goal from a flicked header off of a throw in to the back post where it was easily placed in the net from a free mark. However, we held strong and came home 3-2 victors. I have to say I was pleased with myself and the team. I was brought on to make an impact and I definitely felt I did that. The team also played pretty well. We were good in possession and took advantage of the opportunities given to us.

5 comments:

egan said...

Good to hear RoPs are doing well and you're making a big contribution, Jon. Who would you say are the strongest team in Ykkonen this year? You did alright against KuPs, do you think RoPs can get promotion?

Btw, I was going to say hello after the TPV game the other week but I had an awful hangover and had to rush off to spend some quality time with the toilet bowl. Next time....

egan said...

Wow, I just checked and it seems you have home games till the end of August! seven in a row!! got to be looking to come out of that run on top of the league, surely?

JJBurklo said...

Egan, I would say that we have a strong chance of promotion. If we can win at least 6 of these next 7 home games I would have to think that we would have seperated ourselves from the pack. I haven't seen JJK play yet, but obviously they've done well and based on statistics have one of the best offenses and best defenses so it should be a good one. As to the other strong teams, KuPS is definitely up there. They're nothing fancy, but they do everything well and don't really seem to have a weak spot. I really think it will come down to the 3 of us, RoPS, KuPS, and JJK. Maybe PK-35 as well. Kaijasilta is scoring as usual, and one of the Yanks playing for them, Peter Louis, has scored in 2 games in a row, and Vesa Kosenen has a few goals as well. The midfield is a bit weak, but they have a strong backline with the best goalkeeper in the league. It should definitely prove to be an interesting end to the season though. Anyone can beat anyone on any given day in this league so we'll see

Dickinson said...

Hey Jon! I am a longtime fan of RoPS. Just found out about this nice blog of yours. Keep up the good work!

One question for you though... It seems that you guys have come back from behind and won a lot lately and I myself saw the game against TPV, where Zeddy had that magical freekick to salvage victory.

You have performed very strongly especially in the second half. Why is that? Are the african players too easygoing to start playing from the start (lol) or has it something to do with you being in better shape than the other teams and wearing them out? Or some other reason?

Onnea kotipeleihin! ;)

JJBurklo said...

Dickinson, I can't really put my finger on why we always come from behind. It feels like we never really start playing until after we're scored on, and then everyone clicks on. Hopefully, we can get that changed b/c when we play teams like JJK or KuPS again, going down a goal to them could mean a loss.

However, I am glad to see we can come back from a deficit. It shows a lot of character in the team. We always feel like we are in every game no matter what. But personally I'd rather score 3 or 4 and keep a clean sheet in the back!!