Monday, July 16, 2007

RoPS 2 JJK 1

It was a good win for our side yesterday. We played well for most of the match, but as usual we didn't really start playing with a lot of purpose until going down a goal. The first half ended 0-0 with neither team carving out any clear-cut chances.

The second half began much the same as the first with both teams trading possession. JJK would score first though after a free kick was given up. The ball would be swung in by Tommi Kari to the back corner of the 6 yard box where Babatunde Wusu had lost his mark to easily head into the net. RoPS responded well, however and immediately equalized through a well taken goal from 'Drogba.' After picking up the ball near the opposing teams box, Drogba placed his shot to the near post around the diving goalkeeper.

After netting the equalizer, RoPS definitely looked the better side and it was only a matter of time before the winner came. Young Jusso Majava, who had replaced Antii Peura, was picked out in the box by a Chileshi Chibwe pass, and after a nice cut back the young player slotted the ball in the net with a left footed drive.

I would enter the game with 7 minutes left to help close off the match. I came in at left wing for Jarno Koivisto, and I did my job I felt. Nothing too exciting or flashy from me, and there was no reason to be. With a 2-1 lead with less then 10 minutes, I concentrated on keeping the ball for us and doing what I could defensively.

In the end it was a very good, very big win for us. With the other results (KuPS tied TPV and PK-35 beat VIFK) its now even tighter at the top. KuPS and PK-35 sit on top with 23 points while JJK and us sit on 21 points.

Next week, Helsinki side Atlantis visits. It will be a bit of a special match for me. When I arrived in Finland, I had originally signed a contract with Atlantis. However, after the club suffered some financial problems (again) and could not guarantee my salary I was forced to find a new club (the best club in the Ykkonen!!). But I love the guys from Atlantis. They were/are good friends of mine so it should be a fun match for me!

No comments: