Thursday, July 12, 2007

Final Thoughts- US U20's vs Uruguay U20's

Ok..definitely not the nicest football displayed tonight, but anyone that has ever played the game knows that it doesn't always go that way. Too expect the US to continue at the high level they played against Poland and Brazil is a little unrealistic. They are bound to drop and then rise, the key is having more rises then falls. I was going to give player evals, but its difficult on this game. No one played particularly well, and at the same time its difficult to fault them. It's just the way the game went. The pace of the match was frantic, and it showed in the play.

I will make comments on a few players though. I would much rather have Oforie Sarkodie playing alongside Nate Sturgis then Valentin. Valentin has been repeatedly abused for his lack of pace, in every game so far. His passing also leaves a lot to be desired at times. Sarkodie on the other hand played very well against Poland and Brazil. His athleticism makes him much more effective and much less susceptible to being beat.

I'm also not big on Robby Rogers. I'm sorry, I just don't get the buzz that some people have on him. Yes, he's done some good things and put in some good crosses, but my word he loses the ball a lot. And I mean A LOT! It also appears to me that if he does beat a man, he does it rather clumsily. It must be maddening defending him because every ricochet seems to bounce right for him. Now perhaps thats his particular skill, and its also true we don't exactly have anyone to replace him. But I just can't get over the amount of times he loses the ball. It really does negate a lot of the good things he does in my eyes.

My last comment on the players will be on Gabe Ferrari. I really liked what I saw from him. He didn't really do anything fancy, and didn't have any chances at goal, but he was excellent in holding the ball up for us. I would have much rather had him come on for Jozy initially rather than Akpan. It was always going to be difficult for Ferrari coming into a match like that, so I can't fault him too much for not carving out a chance. But to get the starting nod that's what you need to do. It's a difficult job, yes, but he if he could have carved out a chance or two he really could have made a shout for the starting job on Saturday if Jozy can't go. (Personally, I would rather see him then Akpan if Jozy can't go).

Now, as for the team, despite the lack of attractive football, I was glad to see their fight. The chips weren't falling there way, but the team never gave up and you just knew once they got the equalizer they would go on to win it. That's the sign of a great team. They can get the result even when things aren't going well.

Next up....Austria and I have to like our chances. Let's put on a better display this time though boys. Try to make it easier on my nerves for me!

2 comments:

Pekka said...

Congrats for the US U20's for qualifying to the quarterfinals..Soccer lacks media coverage in the States I suppose, but this coinciding with the arrival of Becks ain't bad news at all.

How do you reckon your chances tomorrow against JJK?They have beaten two Veikkausliiga teams so far in the Finnish Cup and have a influential strike force in Babatunde Wusu and Tommi Kari. 17 goals between them of all 20 JJK has scored.

Maybe extra-time on Wednesday plus a long journey by bus to Rovaniemi will work on your favour though..

JJBurklo said...

I'll be writing a preview for our match with JJK tomorrow. It should definitely be an interesting game. The match against MyPa on Wednesday for them definitely works on our favor, and then the long trip up here will take its toll as well. Not sure how much it will effect them though. No matter what I would expect a few goals to be scored tomorrow for both teams.