Thursday, July 5, 2007

Preview- US vs Columbia

I really don't know what to expect from tonight's matchup, but I am certainly excited to see (well hopefully see) some of the younger, new faces in todays lineup. With both teams certain to NOT progress I imagine that it will certainly be a tepid affair; however, we are most certainly going to see many of the players that have seen little to no action thus far who will be eager to show that they belong at this level (I peronally have my doubts on several). Columbia meanwhile has certainly been less then impressive. Perhaps it is not fair for me to comment seeing as I have not actually seen them play in this tournament, however, going off of the reports (and the results, a 5-0, 4-2 thrashings from Paraguay and Argentina respectively) I should say that the US should have the upperhand. Yes, I know our results have not gone as we all would like, but the side has certainly shown to play some nice football (drawing praise from the likes of Maradona) and if it weren't for some slack finishing against Paraguay we might actually have progressed out of the group.

Some of the players I'm looking forward to seeing for an extended period of time-

Lee Nguyen- The mercurial, young PSV prodigy is perhaps a player the US has never truly had before in the making. Lee's ability to go at several defenders and his superior technical ability allow for a player that can actually dribble through several defenders at a time. Something that has been severely lacking with the US Nats as well as in MLS. However, while his array of moves are certainly entertaining, he has yet to really make a splash in the footballing world. Having found it tough going at PSV (Koeman has preferred a more experienced first team) it appears Lee will be sent on loan. According to reports, teams from Holland, Spain, and France are lining up for him. Lee did get onto the pitch against Paraguay for the last few minutes; however, it is entirely unfair to judge the player on those few moments when the result was pretty much already determined.

Charlie Davies- I had mixed feelings when Charlie was brought in for his first national camp as well as for this tournament. While he certainly possesses an immense amount of potential with his blazing speed, has he truly deserved this call-up? I am certainly one interested to see how he performs, but this is a kid just out of college, playing in his first professional season who has only just recently scored his first goal. Now one could make the argument that there is hardly other deserving players to have picked, but having seen Charlie play for his club Hammarby (I can't imagine that they are happy with his lack of playing time considering they are in mid-season and did have to release him btw) he has a long way to go. Yes, it is true that his speed is world class, technically he is sound, and he certainly knows how to get in good spots; however, he has also shown some immaturity tactically, a tendency to get lost in games, and most importantly an inability to finish thus far. Now I am not trying to come down hard on the kid nor am I trying to become one of the overly pessimistic, nothing is ever good enough poster from the US Nats Analysis board from BigSoccer (those that have been there know what I am talking about). I am simply stating what has obviously been seen to be true thus far. Regardless, he will certainly have my attention tonight.

Heath Pearce- I really feel bad for this guy. Heath is a guy I have known for several years (by no means on a very personal level), as we played together with the Region IV ODP team some years back. While he certainly has a high opinion of himself (no necessarily a bad thing), I believe that he has warranted more of a shot then he has been given. Bradley's love-affair with Bornstein has been aggravating for me. Bornstein certainly does have a lot of upside to his game; however, having got his chance with the Nats in the Gold Cup I certainly expected that Pearce would get his in the Copa. So far Heath has yet to see the pitch, and I must say he doesn't deserve that. In comparing Bornstein and Pearce there's very little that seperates the two. Heath is a technical (moreso then Bornstein in my opinion), fast, intelligent wing back with an outstanding ability to get forward and play dangerous balls across the box, and having played the position a bit longer then Bornstein I would imagine his positioning and timing is much better then Bornstein (numerous times Bornstein has been caught upfield and out of position). While Pearce tailed off a bit in the close of this seasons Danish Superliga, Heath is a good prospect for the left back position, which should by no means be clear and cut as to who's position this belongs to.

3 comments:

JJBurklo said...

Sorry all, it should say Hammarby did NOT have to release Charlie, not did have to release Charlie

JJBurklo said...

Oh and forgive me for the spelling mistake. It should ColOmbia not ColUmbia

Greg Seltzer said...

With you 100% on Pearce/Bornstein... the free pass (no pun intended) has gone on long enough.