Friday, August 31, 2007

Life in Joensuu

Life so far has been pretty good here in Joensuu. I can't say the same for the train ride I took to get here. That may be the worst traveling experience I've had. Hardly, the ideal way to begin my new life in Finland. But I must say that since arriving have I have felt very comfortable.

I'm living with Sasha Antilainen one of the players on the team. He's been great to me so far, and I really appreciate the way he has helped me get settled. I've also spent a lot of time with one of the goalkeepers, Lassi, who I have spent some time getting to know the city with. So far we have seemed to hit it off. Both are atypical Finns. Finns by nature are quite shy, but these two are of a different breed, particularly Lassi (well he's a goali, so what do you expect)!

I have trained twice with the team so far. Obviously, there is a drop in quality from RoPS, but there is definitely some talent here. I've been a bit shocked all season at their lowly place in the standings as from what I have seen they are hardly one of the worse teams in this division. I think they've just been a bit unlucky and have been hit with the injury bug a few times too often. And strangely, they have yet to win at home.

Hopefully, that will change this weekend as we take on TP-47. The coach has told me that he will look to play me at right wing. That's fine with me. I like to attack and crossing is probably one of my better attributes. My only fear will be my game fitness. I've only played 1 90 minute game in the last 2 months so I am not too sure how long I can go at a midfield position. That will just be a matter of games though. Once I get 2 or 3 under my belt, I should not have a problem.

The city itself is actually quite beautiful. When I traveled down here with RoPS earlier in the season I had made the same remark to my teammates. The weather hasn't exactly been cooperating although as I write the sunny is shining and while its not warm it is hardly cold. The local University is also just beginning its semester so that means plenty of lovely Finnish women are strolling around.

So overall, my impressions have been good. I feel welcomed and wanted, which is always good for a player. Let's see if I can help the team stay up this year. My prediction is that we will. I think we have the quality its just a matter of gaining a bit of confidence.

1 comment:

egan said...

Be sure to kick Luiz Antonio if he decides to bring himself on again. that guy's crazy, but he's slower than my granny.....