Sunday, August 19, 2007

United draw in Openin Rounds

This is my first post on my beloved team Manchester United. I've been a die hard fan for as long as I can remember supporting football. Eric Cantona was the one that drew me in to the world of the Red Devils. There's only one word that I can think of that adequately describes the way the Old Trafford legend played....Majestic!!

Last season brought a renewed hope in most United fans. The long drout without a Premier League Championship was becoming tiring, and this title definitely gave me hope for the future. After Chelski splashed out their millions upon millions it looked as if no team would be able to match them with their incredible depth. But United prevailed as the team bought into the concept of what United really is, and that is WINNING!!

After this summer's transfer spree, you couldn't help but be optimistic again about United's chances. Adding Nani and Anderson helped to ensure our future, while adding Hargreaves and eventually Tevez definitely made the present that much brighter. But not everything has gone to plan. I have not actually been able to see the matches thus far so I won't comment in too much detail.

United opened with a draw against Reading. Not a completely surprising result, as I had a bad feeling when I first saw the draw. Reading are a tricky side, well coached, and they have 2 Americans. One of these Americans had a blinder as Marcus Hahneman repeatedly denied United's attack in goal. It's not a terrible result, but not exactly the one we were all hoping for. From all accounts, we didn't play badly either but lacked that finishing touch (I'd say we've lacked it ever since Ruud left).

The following Wednesday, United repeated their performance drawing away to Portsmouth. Now I know Portsmouth have been somewhat of a bogey team against us particularly at home, but I can't help but feel incredibly disappointed about this one. They are no where near our league, and after being up a goal we should never have allowed them back in it. And with Chelsea picking up full points from their first 2, this is a disastrous result.

This is United's worse start to the season since the 1998-99 season. Now, of course, we went on to win the treble that season, but there wasn't a Chelsea then to catch up to. What last season most importantly taught us is that we have to start the season well. Giving Chelsea a 4 point lead in the first 2 games definitely makes it an uphill struggle.

And now we face a rejuvinated City team led by Sven Ericksson. City have picked up full points thus far, and have been convincing in doing so. We are also without Rooney (for 2 months!!!) and Ronaldo (who picked up a red card in a head-butting incident against Portsmouth), two players we definitely hate to lose. But the hero today will be Carlos Tevez. I'm predicting a brace for the dynamic Argentinean to lead us inspiringly to victory over the blues!!! Come on you Reds!!!!

No comments: