Sunday, August 12, 2007

Preview- RoPS vs PK-35

Today's game is another that will have a bit more meaning for me. We take on a, recently, struggling PK-35 side from Helsinki. PK are on a 2 game losing slide, and I have to think that we will make it 3 tonight. We are, of course, on a 7 game winning streak and top of the league so there is nothing but confidence in our side at the moment. But PK did hand us our first defeat at the beginning of the season so they are not to be taken lightly.

But there are several sidenotes that make this an interesting game for me. I will be up against two other American players today. Matt McKenna is PK's longtime goalkeeper, and probably one of the better ones in the league. In our first match, he was brilliant. PK also has in its ranks, American midfielder/forward Peter Louis. Thus far Peter has 2 goals on the season, but I don't think he has really solidified himself in the team. Nonetheless, I will definitely want to get a victory over my American counterparts to make things even.

PK also have several of my former teammates from Atlantis as well as my former coach. Pasi Pihaama joined the PK staff at the same time I left, and even tried to bring me along with him. I wouldn't have minded staying in Helsinki, but the moment I saw the talent we have here in Rovaniemi I knew the team I wanted to play for. But I do have a ton of respect for my old coach. In fact, he is one of my favorite coaches that I have had. PK also have Atlantis defectees Miika Jokipera, Lauri Hakanen, and Tony Kaukoma so it will be good to see my old friends again.

The man we need to concern ourselves with is Peteri Kaijasilta, however. 'Kai' has slowed down since his storming goalscoring run at the beginning of the season, but he is as dangerous as ever. We will need to make sure to limit his chances. All he needs is one chance so we need to be aware. Other then that PK are really not too much of a threat. They are very organized in the back and will play a 5-3-2. There outside backs are strong players and like to push forward, but honestly I don't see them giving us too much trouble if we play like we can.

Drogba will look to continue his scoring streak, and the team will welcome back George into the lineup. One goal could win this game so I'm going to predict a 1-0 victory for the home side!!!

1 comment:

Luc said...

Hey,

I am the webmaster of a Belgium Soccer Team, FCV Dender(leeuw), 1° cl.
Here I found the name of an ex-player of our team, Paasi Pihaama.
& I would like to do an interview with him. Is there anybody who can give me his email?
Thanks a lot!
www.fcvdendereh.be

luc@fcvdendereh.be