Monday, August 20, 2007

RoPS 2 PP-70 0

Well it was hardly a pretty game of football, but at the end of the day 3 points is 3 points. Thanks to KuPS draw the day before and JJK's draw, we now sit at the top of the table. Yesterday's match was always going to be a bit of a difficult one with the way PP-70 play. There long balls always kept the defence a bit on our heals, and all they looked to do was hope to pick up the second ball.

We started off the match as well as could be expected. We weren't great in possession, but we weren't bad as well. Drogba did well to earn us a penalty, which Dejan Godar put away with a delicate and cheeky chip. PP-70 hardly posed much of a threat except when we managed to gift them chances. They were fairly effective from free kicks, but did nothing to worry us from the run of play. Nonetheless, they did a good job of disrupting our play and keeping us from every really dropping into second gear.

In the second half, we desperately needed a second goal to kill off the match. Our possession really went out the window, and we were caught dribbling way too often. But I would say defensively we were better, and there wasn't really a moment when I thought we might give up the lead. The victory was made certain when Drogba took off on a counter attack 1 v 1 with the goalie. He managed to round the keeper and slot into an empty net in stoppage time to bring home 3 points, and our 9th victory in 10 matches. Drogba has now scored in 10 straight games!!!!

As for my display, I will take it. It's been nearly 2 months since I have gotten a full 90 at right back so for me or anyone else for that matter to expect me to have a blinder is a bit unrealistic. On the ball, I was a bit more nervous then usual and gave away too many balls. But I was very happy with my defensive display with the exception of the silly tackle I made in the first half. With it being my first 90 in a while though, I was satisfied but not thrilled. It is a good game to build off of, and hopefully Thursday I can put a complete game together. I have yet to really show how well I can play and I will look to do that against Tornio. I'll need to if I want to start on Sunday against KuPS as Janne will be back from suspension. But I've always like competition and his competition is most welcome.

No comments: