Monday, September 3, 2007

Jippo 2 TP-47 2

It was a dreary day for my first game in my new jersey. Rain poured down for most of the day making for a slick surface and a not so pretty game. Despite the conditions, we actually started quite well. Tornio were good in possession, but hardly created anything in the early-goings whereas we were quite effective at carving out chances on the counter.

At about the 10 minute mark, after some good build up play, the ball was played out wide to me near the top of the box. I took a good settling touch and then struck a terrific shot only for it to deflect off of a defender before getting to the goal. A few minutes later, Jussi picked up a clearance and drove at this defender. I made a run to the inside of him where Jussi played a great ball in front of me and into the box. I slid, along with the defender, to get an attempt at goal but once again it was deflected for a corner.

However, our first goal would come off of a great counter attack. Kemo picked up a clearance and then found a streaking Jussi. Jussi managed to beat his mark wide and play a great ball back across the box where Kemo finished easily into the side netting. Unfortunately, we kind of lost the plot a bit after the goal. We seemed merely content in kicking the ball away as if we were in the 90th minute.

Tornio gained more and more possession and were beginning to penetrate. They would score after a poor clearance made it only just outside the box in the center of the park. Tornio's midfielder took a settling touch that bounced high, however, he dealt with it remarkably well and volleyed it into the upper corner. After the goal we seemed to gain a bit of composure, and while we didn't create any clear cut chances we were much more calm on the ball.

The half ended 1-1. The second half was a carbon copy of the first. We started well, effectively countering after winning the ball from Tornio. John Keister, who was brought on in the first half, helped stretch the Tornio defense and effectively held up the ball for us along with his strike partner Kemo.

Again off of a quick counter in which Kemo found himself streaking out wide with the ball, I nearly scored. Kemo played a great ball across the top of the box. I ran onto it and struck it sweetly with the inside of my foot. It was destined for the top right corner, but once again was deflected. A few minutes later, however, we would take the lead again. Jan Berg played in a good corner from the right side where Diego got a good head to the ball. It was initially saved but a pouncing Mikko roofed the ball into the top of the net.

It was 2-1, and at the time I felt sure of victory. But once again, we lost composure and allowed Tornio back into the game. Possession became a rarity for us, and we were made to pay. Unfortunately, I have a bit to do with their tying goal. I picked up the ball wide deep in the opposing half. I had the opportunity to immediately cross the ball, but elected to take on my defender. I did brilliantly pulling off Ronaldinho's 'elastico' to beat my Brazilian mark, but rather then take a left footed shot on goal I tried to play the ball back to a streaking midfielder. It was picked off by a defender though, and Tornio countered towards the other end. The ball made its way deep and wide, and their forward managed to pick out a player of his own color despite the fact that there were 3 defenders to one attacker.

I was immediately disappointed with myself. The move was great, looked pretty, but when you're up a goal you can't afford to give away possession the way I did. Had I put in a cross, it may have been cleared by the defense, but it wouldn't have led to a quick counter. Of course, there were others who are at fault as well, but it started with me and I know better then that. Chances were slim after the tying goal. Tornio continued with most of the possession, and while we got better we didn't really carve out any chances. However, we should have been awarded a penalty at the death of the match after John Keister was pulled back in the box. The ref waved play on and then blew the whistle for the end of the match.

I was pulled off in injury time, and I was very happy with my display. It was my first game with a new team, and I definitely caused some problems for the other team. I felt a bit slow, however, which was largely due to the fact that I had not played a 90 minute game at right wing and a long long long time. But to last as long as I did and to make chances and keep the ball was very pleasing for me. Unfortunately, I picked up my 3rd yellow and will miss out on the next game to suspension. Three points is absolutely necessary if we are to avoid the drop.

No comments: