Monday, September 24, 2007

Jippo 2 PP-70 1

Another 3 points headed our way this weekend. I can't tell you how immense these points were for us. We now have a 2 point cushion from relegation and at the same time severely dented PP-70's chances of avoiding the drop. It wasn't the prettiest of matches, but I don't think you will hear any complaints from us.

The first half was especially unpleasing to the eye. There were times when I wondered if we were playing ping pong rather then football. Neither team was good with the ball, and there were few chances. There was 1 clear cut chance, however, and I am still trying to work out how exactly the ball did not end up in the net.

A long clearance managed to bounce over the opposing goalkeeper's head and with no one in the goal everyone must have been thinking that Jussi Kemmo would put Jippo up 1-0. But somehow, when it was hard to miss than to score, Jussi put the ball wide. I have seen misses like this in plenty of bloopers videos, but never in person. But credit to Jussi as he would make amends later in the game.

Other then that chance, there really wasn't much in the half. I had a particularly good half although I did not see the ball as often as I would like. Nevertheless, I felt something positive happened each time I touched it, and I seemed to be running past multiple defenders with the ball with ease. Unfortunately, nothing would come of my good work as the final ball from me or someone else was lacking.

The second half was a much better game. Both teams seemed to have collected themselves and it became much more of a possession game. I would say we were the better side, but we managed to give up a goal at the 55 minute mark. A mix up between our central defenders allowed the ball to bounce in between and over them leaving an easy finish for PP-70 striker Mika Lahtinen (joint top scorer with 16).

The goal seemed to kick start our game though. We attacked with much more purpose, and tied the game at 60 minutes. I'll admit it was a bit of a fluke, but again you won't hear us complain. I collected a ball wide after some good work out of midfield and attempted to put in a cross. However, the cross turned into a inch perfect shot as it saild over the goalkeeper's head and into the top corner of the far post!

We continued to play well, and I continued to have a stellar game. The next 15 minutes we would constantly pressure the opposing goal. I had an opportunity to add a second as a cross was flicked onto the far post. It managed to go over my defenders head and after chasing the ball down I put a shot on goal that beat the goalkeeper, but was unfortunately, cleared off the line by a defender. We had several other opportunities inside the box with Jussi Kemmo, Sasha Antilainen and myself doing the damage, but unfortunately the were all deflected.

On one of these occasions though, I managed to split two defenders inside the box with the 'elastico' move I had pulled off a few weeks back. But my left footed effort was blocked. The game took a turn around the 70 minute mark or so. Our right back, Mikko Maatanen received his marching orders after receiving a second yellow card. I slotted into right back to fill his place, and it must be said that I was a little worried.

But my worries were laid to rest when Jussi Kemmo collected a cross from Tinge and calmly skipped past his mark and deposited the ball into the back of the net less then 5 minutes after the red card. We managed to hold out for the rest of the match almost adding a third after some good work from Sasha gave Tinge with a clear opportunity. Unfortunately, it was smuggled by the goalkeeper. We were under a lot of pressure towards the end, but held off and won 2-1 victors.

I was named the sponsor's man of the match and received the Veikkaus gold medallion. Lassi Hurskainen was named man of the match after a good performance in goal for us. We take on RoPS next, which will definitely be an intense match for me personally. I would love to put one over on them!!

Check out Football in Finland for my Ykkonen Wrap!

No comments: